Saturday 4 January 2014

Elton John

elton john was my best friend growing up
and he always brought along his best friend - bernie taupin
and the three of us would hold hands
and skip through fields together
'from the edge of the world
to your town'

my dad's favourite song was 'daniel'
i like having that union in my life

elton john's greatest hits was my first album
my first jump from 45s
i know this album

whenever we went on vacation
usually to visit family on long island
my dad would let me buy an album
one trip i bought goodbye yellow brick road
listening to that album was like getting a college degree
artwork
lyrics
fast songs
slow songs
story songs
'fantastic the feedback'
and elton's fingers wailing away at the piano
when you listen to love lies bleeding
you can hear elton pounding the piano
making it his bitch

here's a funny story
i'm a member of the rocket club
advance tickets etc.
my buddy and i go to see elton at the ACC
i wear my pink shirt
my dad looked great in a pink shirt
(my mum would laugh)
anyway
we're at the concert
and the band is cooking
after every song elton would stand at the edge of the stage
gracefully thank the audience
paying special attention to me
who was sitting in front of him 5 rows back
even my buddy said 'elton's digging you'
so i'm sizing the situation up
thinking
well….

at the end of the concert elton once again
bowed and sent love my way
i'm thinking he really understands me
and he loves my pink shirt
but of course - it's his husband's family who are sitting directly in front of me
that's who he was thanking
his family
not narcissistic gay ready me

the chording on the song 'goodbye yellow brick road' is genius
the voicing he put to bernie's words
that's as good as our era gets
elton stands alongside
mcCartney
page
waters
townsend
the british masters

i have a vision for our upcoming elton john greatest hits shows
that involves showcasing his piano playing and vocals
in an unusual way
whenever i talk to people about this vision
they express their concern
telling me that things aren't done like that
that tells me me
that i'm on the right track
beyond the yellow the brick road

craig
january 4, 2014
coffee and sweet chocolate biscuits


No comments:

Post a Comment