Monday 5 September 2011

Guest Blogger: Dr. Wu

                                                              My Musical Epiphany

I had gone 48 years listening to and seeing many musical groups, but there was still a void in my life from not seeing some acts.
That all changed on the night of January 22, 2004.
I'd won tickets from a radio station to see Classic Albums Live Presents: Led Zeppelin II at The Phoenix. With my underage son and his friend in tow, we had no idea what was to occur on the stage that night. It was a defining moment in my love for music. Led Zeppelin WAS on stage that night, in a perfect recreation of the album note for note, cut for cut. It was an eerie, hair rising, out of body experience. Most of the evening was spent with my eyes glued to the stage or looking around the room at the reaction of others. My jaw was sore for days from being wide open in total disbelief. I have had this experience relived over and over many times since that night.
 My list of CAL shows seen is quite long now . My list of the Top 5 CAL shows is long too, as a few times a year I add a few other shows to it. 

Many Alumni also have played in other bands, and my love of music and  support of local musicians has allowed me to see many other fine acts and shows such as The Midnight Ramblers, Mason Dixon, Mamakin, Druckfarben, The Dylan Tree, Fraser Daley Duo , Jeff ‘s Healeys Jazz Wizards and the Jerome Godboo Band.

I had seen The Band (with CSNY and Jesse Colin Young ) live at Varisty Stadium September 2,1974 , and CAL perform The Last Waltz at The Phoenix December 13,2007.

I now anxiously await the epic presentation on the stage of Massey Hall Friday November 25,2011. My mind continues to wonder what surprises, and details Craig will have in store for us, and who from his stable of incredible world class musicians will grace the stage .

I can only imagine how perfect this upcoming night will be……..see you all soon at the Grand Dame of Concert Halls.

Dr.wu

No comments:

Post a Comment